Executor – is a multi purpose launcher sporting many optional customizable features and advanced setup.
The program originated as I was sick of spending too much time searching for programs through my ever growing windows start-menu, and eye-balling desktop trying to mouse locate what ever I wanted to launch.
Also I missed a tool that could ease and optimize my daily workflow. There was of course already programs like this available, but each had it’s annoyance or missing features or too(!) geeky.
• Keywords have properties like shortcuts, and you can for example drag-drop a shortcut/file/folder/favorite to add it as a keyword.
• Auto-completion for keywords, file system and history (can also be configured).
• Url detection, Enter URLs directly (like www.google.com, mail.google.com, google.com or http://www.google.com).
• Keywords support parameters. Example “google latest executor” “wiki nirvana”.
• Besides keywords Executor can also optionally and dynamically add matching start-menu items, control panel items and other handy items to the drop-down/list.
• Ability to add your own paths to scan for user defined file extensions.
• Each keyword can be assigned a hotkey, so Executor can also perform like many popular hotkey managers.
• Keyword control, have keyword open program(s) minimized, with admin access, make sure only one instance is running of program and more
• Can add keyword integration with popular services like GMail, Twitter, GCal, RTM and many others (see forums for howto’s, tutorials and tips).
• Optional show icon for current keyword/input.
• Optional show drop-down box for current keyword/input (auto-completion).
• Optional drop-down box can be set to auto-open (like windows run) displaying auto-completion suggestions.
• Optional list displaying matching items.
• Layout can be customized. Set colors, font, dimensions, position, transparency and more.
• Skinable. Supporting alpha blending effects and free positioning of all elements.
• Many settings to customize the program as you like.
• Can be launched from an user defined hotkey.
• One keyword or text input can start multiple keywords/urls/programs/documents/files etc. Example one keyword opens three websites and/or programs.
• Each keyword have properties like optional group (to organize into groups), customizable icon and other properties.
• Keyword “find [text]” for using Windows Instant Search feature or Windows Desktop Search.
• A number of special commands (like for example pause and replace tag with parameter).
• Optional windows context-menu integration (as another way of easily adding new keywords).
• Optional show title for the current input.
• Can import keywords from windows start-menu.
• Can auto import keywords from an url on startup, so you can share keywords between different Executor installations (for example for cooperate use).
• Executor has a number settings on how you want it to find desired item(s). Text could “start with” or “contain text” (substring) or short form detection (for example typing ffox for firefox).
• All file-paths can be auto-completed (also when file-path is a parameter), and you can use tab and shift-tab to browse filesystem path.
• Keywords to manipulate the current active window (center, resize to specific size, maximize width or height etc).
• Special keywords to list (and open) running applications, text previously copied to clipboard and recent documents. Can also strip formatting from clipboard text.
• Many special keywords like for example lock computer, restart, shutdown, standby, turn off monitor(s), mute sound, show date/time/week number etc.
• Shortcut keys for faster navigation.
• Integrated calculator.
• Integrated Notes, for quick notes etc.
• Import/Export keywords (import can also import directly from an url rather than a file).
• Option to override windows run hotkey (Win-R).
• Optional sounds.
• Integrated Windows context-menu (for example when right-clicking list items).
• At startup a number of keywords/commands optionally be launched.
• Set simple a simple alarm, timer, stop-watch (with optional alert sound).
• Pressing enter with no valid input will launch first suggested item (optional).
• Be able to grab text from hidden launched console applications and display text in input or in multi-lined text.
• Several hidden experimental/minor settings to play with (Example show time/date/other stuff when idle).
• Plus more…
• Free (freeware for you old timers) MIT-licensed.
• Free for commercial use (but feel free to donate if you forced your entire organization to use Executor! I have put a lot of hours in to this :-)).
Executor 1.0.6 (5 MB)
This post was recently updated on April 27, 2021