AviDemux – is a free, open source cross-platform video editor for Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and BSD. It is written in C++, and you can use it for various tasks such as encoding (convert videos from one format to another), cutting (cut individual portions from a recording) or filtering (resize, deinterlacing, add subtitles, color correction, etc.).
Avidemux offers built-in support for many popular codecs and files: AVI, MP4, ASF, DVD, MPEG, MKV. It is one of the best free video editors whenever you need to automate video processing or editing process. The software is released under the GNU GPL license and has been released (binaries) in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
• support for non-linear video editing, visual effects, and transcoding
• support for muxing (multiplexing) and demuxing
• support for popular subtitle formats: SUB, SSA, ASS, SRT
• has powerful scripting capabilities (tutorial available here)
• multiple filtering options: auto-resize, gauss smoothing, deinterlacing, chroma shifts, add black borders, etc.
• comes with a GUI (graphical user interface) and command line interface
• various output formats supported: MKV, Flash, AVI, MPEG-1/2, OGM, MP4, etc.
• built-in video encoders for: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, FFHuffYUV, FFV1, H.263, H.263+, HuffYUV, MJPEG, MPEG-4, Snow, x264, x264, Xvid, Y800
• built-in audio encoders for MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3), Vorbis, AAC, MPEG-1 layer 2 (MP2), AC-3, MPEG-1 layer 2 (MP2), Microsoft RIFF WAV PCM, LPCM